Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hot Mulled Apple Cider with Rum

The best way to start off a cool fall evening in November is with a hot glass of local mulled apple cider. Since I was a child when I would smell cider it would invoke good memories. Hunting for a Christmas tree in the snow with my first boyfriend. Holiday shopping with my mother. I had never ventured to make it on my own and after several of my clients requesting cider for their events I decided it was time to make some at home. Here is my recipe. Hot mulled cider is not complicated and is easy to customize so feel free to add what you like. One recipe I did see even recommended studding an apple with whole cloves and simmering it in the pot with cider. I thought that sounded fantastic and maybe I will try it in the future.

Doesn't it look delicious!?

Hot Mulled Apple Cider with Rum
4 Servings

1 1/2 Gallon Fresh Apple Cider
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1 Orange, Thinly Sliced
1 Inch Piece of Ginger, Sliced
Dark Rum

Combine all the ingredients through ginger in a small saucepan. Simmer on medium-low heat for approximately 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve to remove all solids and return to saucepan. Keep warm. Ladle into coffee mugs with 1 oz rum. Serve immediately. Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. Did u add the rum with me in mind? It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a very fruity and spicy rum! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a good cure for what ails me right now! Bottoms up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lookit the cinnamon stick! Lookit the orange slices! That photo literally made my mouth water -- totally bookmarked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not very good with alcohol drink but I always like fruity flavor. But I bet I will get drunk after a few sips... :-)

    ReplyDelete