Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Orange Ginger Cranberry Sauce

As promised the first of my recipes for a healthy and easy homemade Thanksgiving. No, nothing is easier than opening a can but this comes in a pretty close second place. I had never realized how easy this could be and how much better it would taste than the factory produced goo. So let me know if you try it. I hope you do!

Adapted from a recipe I found on Epicious.com: Ginger Cranberry Sauce
Servings: 10
Cook Time: 10 Minutes

Ingredients:
16 oz Cranberries, washed and picked over
1 cup sugar (I halved the sugar in this recipe and I still felt like it was a lot. You could also substitute agave but start with just a few teaspoons and add as needed as it is significantly more sweet than granulated sugar.)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (unsweetened, fresh from the orange)
1 Tbsp finely grated ginger (make sure it is finely grated)
Finely grated zest from 1 orange (make sure not to grate in the white pith as it is very bitter)

Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the berries pop open. This will take approximately 10 minutes. Make sure the heat is not too high or you can scorch is pretty easily.
Remove from the heat and let cool. It will appear runnier than you expect but as it cools it will solidify into more of a jelly. You will need to skim the foam off once it is cool. It can be refridgerated for up to 3 months so it is a great make ahead dish for the holidays!

Let me know if you try the recipe! You can adapt it quite easily. Don't like ginger? Add a cinnamon stick and remove it before the sauce cools. The options are endless and certainly delicious!

5 comments:

  1. Terrific recipe for the holidays! The orange and ginger is a terrific addition to the typical cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange and ginger in the cranberry sauce? I already like the sound of it. I've never made cranberry sauce (or turkey) on my own. I'm bookmarking this recipe. I really love the citrus flavor in food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ginger and I use it everywhere. I am sure that this recipe will be very good! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the addition of ginger here. Makes it a little extra special :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both cranberries and ginger, and this time of year I always wish I knew more ways to cook with them. This sounds perfect! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete